Managing an active, successful student organization can be very expensive. Hosting events, taking trips, and keeping your organization running all cost money. ORG has compiled the following resources that may be able to help reduce this burden.

ORG Budget Requests

ORG provides a set amount of funding to recognized student organizations. To apply for funding, recognized student organizations must submit budget requests at various times throughout the year. While we are happy to provide this resource to our organizations, you should never consider ORG your primary funding source for your student organization. Our funding levels are always subject to change, and we’re limited by the large number of student organizations requesting assistance.

Student organizations that are eligible for funding can submit budget requests to ORG in one of these categories:

  • General Expense—for general resources, like copies, advertising, and miscellaneous reusable supplies
  • Travel—for a group trip to conferences, competitions, or events
  • Honorarium—for bringing guest speakers and performers to campus, or to request Venture Out funds

You also need to plan ahead to receive ORG funding–we only accept budgets during specific periods throughout the year. See here for this year’s budget deadlines. Generally, our budget deadlines run a semester in advance; i.e. if you want funding for the spring semester, you must apply during the fall.


Recognized student organizations are eligible for ORG funding, with the following exceptions:

  • Social fraternities or sororities (Interfraternity Council and Pan-Hellenic Council)
  • Single gender organizations (recognized by IRS section 501 (c) (7))
  • Sports Clubs recognized by the Mizzou Club Sports Federation
  • Organizations that already receive student activity fee funds (student governments, etc.)

Organizations must also be in good standing to submit a budget request. This means that your President or Vice-President has attended Administrative training, your Treasurer has attended Finance training, and your group’s information is up-to-date in OrgSync.

Request Process

All ORG funds must be applied for in advance–that is, you can’t spend money for your organization, and then apply for ORG funds to pay for it.

If your group is interested in receiving ORG funding, you’ll need to submit a budget request. The budget request submissions are located on each organization’s OrgSync page, under the “Treasury” tab, on the page labeled “Budgets.” Only people who are officers or Administrators of the group’s OrgSync page will be able to submit budget requests. Each type of request has a different form that will ask for specific information about the funds you are requesting and how they will benefit your group. You must also provide independent documentation for all expenses. If you have questions about how to fill out the budget request, you can view a step-by-step guide, check out the Finance training slides, or contact us.

Your completed budget request must be submitted during a specific budget deadline. All deadlines are on Fridays at 5pm, and late budgets are never accepted. All requests must be submitted through the OrgSync budget request portal; emailed budgets will not be accepted.  We begin accepting budgets on the Monday prior to the deadline. The ORG staff is happy to look over your budget if you stop by earlier during a budget week–this will give you time to make any necessary changes before the deadline. We also recommend that the Treasurer submit the budget themselves, so they can receive the submission confirmation email and ensure that the request is accurate.

Once you submit your budget by the appropriate deadline, it will go to the Student Organization Allocation Committee (SOAC).  SOAC will evaluate your budget and make funding decisions, which must be approved by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.  Your group will be notified of your allocation one week after the budget deadline, and you will have an opportunity to appeal if there were any issues.

2016-2017 Budget Deadlines

  • September 16
    • Travel beginning October 22 – December 31
    • Honorariums held October 22 – June 30, 2017
  • October 14
    • General Expense to be spent between January 1, 2017 – June 30, 2017
    • Honorariums held between November 19 – June 30 ,2017
  • November 4
    • Travel beginning January 1, 2017– June 30, 2017
    • Honorariums held between December 10 – June 30, 2017
  • February 3 (Bonus)
    • Travel beginning between March 11 – June 30, 2017
    • Honorariums held between March 11 – June 30, 2017
    • General Expense to be spent March 11 – June 30, 2017
  • March 3
    • General Expense to be spent July 1, 2017 – December 31, 2017
    • Honorariums held between April 8, 2017 – June 30, 2017
  • April 7
    • Travel beginning between July 1, 2017 – October 31, 2017
    • Honorariums held between July 1, 2017 – June 30, 2018

*Note about February “Bonus” Deadline: ORG does not set aside any specific funding for the February funding period. Rather, we “repossess” funds that were distributed to groups for the fall semester that were not spent, and then redistribute them. This means that the pool of available money is much smaller in February than in any other period. We strongly encourage organizations to apply for travel at the November deadline and general expense at the October deadline, rather than waiting until February, if possible.

Please note, all travel must begin within the dates listed to be considered during that funding period. If your trip falls between two deadlines, you should apply at the budget deadline that covers the beginning of the trip. For example, if a trip ran from December 29 through January 3, you would apply at the September deadline, because your trip starts during that funding period. If you waited until the November deadline to apply, your request would be denied. Please contact ORG with any questions regarding this policy.

All honorarium funding is considered on a first come, first served basis! In recent years, the level of honorarium requests has far exceeded the amount of available funding. If this occurs, honorarium budgets may not be accepted during some of the spring semester deadlines. We encourage you to apply as early as possible to avoid this potential problem.


In some instances, your budget request may be denied by SOAC. Your group may not be in good standing, the committee may have needed clarification on your request, or you might have been missing documentation. Any denials are explained on the allocation memo. If you would like to appeal your denial, you should submit the appeal form on OrgSync (which will be sent to you with your original budget notification), and attach any other documentation that was requested. ORG will form an appeal committee to consider these requests.

Secondary Appeals

If, after the regular appeal process, you are still unhappy with the outcome of your request, you may be able to submit a secondary appeal. These are reserved only for instances where you disagree with the committee’s view of your request; training/registration holds may not be secondarily appealed, and you will not be able to submit further documentation at this level.

Spending Allocated Funds

With the exception of travel, you should never spend money first and then come to ORG for reimbursement. See below for information on how to receive any funds you were allocated.

General Expense

If you have been allocated money for copies or printing, you visit the Organization Resource Group office, for the appropriate form. You’ll then take the form to Digiprint, located in Ellis Library, which will make the copies for you.

To place an approved ad in the Maneater student newspaper, you should also visit the ORG office. You can work with the Student Design Center to design your ad, and then it will be sent for publication.

If you have been allocated funds for an announcement in the MU Info, you must fill out the MU Info Request Form on OrgSync. These forms will be reviewed by the ORG Chair to ensure they meet guidelines, and then ORG will submit them for publication.

If your group has received funding for supplies,  you will need to fill out the Approved Supply Order Form on OrgSync. An ORG staff member will then purchase the supplies on your behalf.


Travel is the only funding category where you must spend your own money first, and then be reimbursed when you return. Your group must also submit a travel itinerary form on OrgSync before you depart. When you return from your trip, your Treasurer will fill out a Travel Reimbursement Form and return it, with necessary documentation, to ORG’s Fiscal Officer. The Fiscal Officer and ORG Chair will then work to verify your information and allocation, and process your payment.

ORG’s Fiscal Officer has compiled the information below to help Treasurers prepare travel reimbursements. If you have further questions, please contact us.


Reimbursement Help

The travel process starts months in advance of a trip and the treasurer is the one who handles all the paperwork.

ORG will generally only pay for up to four travelers–the idea is that those four can bring back what they learned and share it with the rest their organization.

Upon return from the trip, the treasurer is required to collect all necessary paperwork and turn in the completed reimbursement forms—within 45 days. There will be a 10% reduction in your allocation for each business day after 45 days. The treasurer is also responsible for dividing up the allocated funds to each person.

ORG cannot accept forms without the treasurer’s signature. On the back of the form, all travelers must be listed with their student numbers.

What items need to be turned in for reimbursement?

Certain items must be submitted with a travel reimbursement in order to process payment.  These are required by University Accounting Services and not ORG. If a reimbursement is submitted without this information, Accounting Services will not be able to pay the request. Accounting Services does provide help and guidance on their website.

Here are the minimum items needed for submission:

For each expense type (transportation, lodging, registration), we need two forms of documentation.

The first form of documentation is the original bill from the business that charged the money. Examples are: the original hotel folios, registration forms, and airline receipts. While an Internet printout detailing flight information (Expedia confirmation, etc.) is acceptable, we must have original paper hotel folios, provided when you check out.

The second form of documentation is a copy of the payment by the person who paid the bill. Examples are: a copy of a cancelled check, or a credit card statement with the cardholder’s name printed on it. The University can only reimburse the person who actually paid the expense, even if that person isn’t the one who traveled. For example, if a parent pays for a student’s flight, we must reimburse the parent.  If a vehicle was used, you’ll need a MapQuest or Google Map showing the mileage. ORG only funds up to four people, so only one vehicle can be claimed. Mileage reimbursements must be paid to an individual rather than an organization, because the organization doesn’t actually own the vehicle.

Examples of proof of payment:If the person paid by credit card, you must produce a copy of the credit card statement that has the person’s name on it, showing he or she paid the expense. The name cannot be handwritten.

If they paid by check, then you must produce a copy of the cancelled check, front and back, showing that it cleared the bank.

The most common things requested that are not reimbursed by ORG are: food, internet or IT service in the rooms, entertainment not associated with the trip (movies in the rooms, plays, theater), gas (ORG pays mileage), and multiple forms of travel.


If you were allocated Honorarium funding, expect contact from the ORG Vice Chair of Finance, who will assist you with the payment process.

Be careful not to enter into a verbal contract when working with an outside entity.  When speaking on the phone, be clear that you are gathering information, NOT offering a price.  Do not agree to anything verbally—only the ORG office can engage an outside entity in a contract on behalf of the University.

Other Sources of Funding

With over 600 recognized student organizations, it’s impossible for ORG funding to cover every expense.  Student groups are expected to generate funding on their own through fundraising, collecting dues, or applying for other monies on campus.  Some organizations may be able to seek funding from the Student Fee Capital Improvement Committee (SFCIC), which funds large, one-time projects.  Others may be able to apply for a grant from the Diversity Fee, or even seek outside sponsorship.

Helpful Fiscal Information

Bank Accounts

Many student organizations want to open bank accounts to manage their club funds. To open an account, you’ll have to establish an Employer Identification Number (EIN) for your group. EINs are similar to social security numbers, but for groups instead of individuals. It establishes your group as a separate entity for the IRS. To apply for an EIN, click here to be directed to the IRS’ website. If you apply for an EIN, please do not use the phrasing “University of Missouri ___________ (your group)” in your application. You may use MU or Mizzou, but if you use University of Missouri it may cause confusion for the IRS and the University. Please also follow this guideline for your bank accounts.

Once you receive an EIN, please enter it in the “Tax ID” field of your group’s OrgSync profile, so that future officers of your organization will know it.

We recommend that you list your advisor as one of the signatories on your bank account to ensure continuity and ease the transition between officers.

Tax Exemption

All Recognized Student Organizations are separate legal entities from the University of Missouri, and are therefore not eligible to claim the University’s tax exempt status. Your organization may apply for 501(c)3 tax exemption on your own. The Organization Resource Group strongly encourages student organizations wishing to file as a 501(c)3 to fully research the steps and requirements associated with process. As a reminder, the Office of Student Organizations and ORG cannot provide tax advice. If your organization wishes to seek status as a 501(c)3 organization we encourage you to discuss your organization’s tax situation with a tax advisor.