While it is primarily the student leaders’ responsibility to fill out ORG budgets to request funding and secure proper authorization for fundraising, it is helpful if advisors are able to act as guides to help navigate the process. Below, you will find a brief overview of the funding and fundraising policies. You can find a full description of ORG finance policy in the Finance Handbook.
Who approves funding?
The Student Organization Allocation Committee (SOAC) is a viewpoint neutral student group responsible for the allocation of funds to recognized student organizations. This committee is comprised of 10 students who are enrolled at the University of Missouri, with partial representation from the Missouri Students Association (MSA) and the Graduate Professional Council (GPC).
Types of Budgets
Travel Funding covers cost for events, conferences or competitions that directly relate to a student organization.
- Travel funding can be applied to:
Travel Funding Policies:
- Organization’s may only receive up to $2000 per fiscal year (July 1 to June 30)
- Funding will not be allocated to non-MU students
- Only one form of travel will be funded, this means only travel to and from the location. Travel funds cannot be used to cover metro cards, taxi fare or parking fees.
- Travel fund allocation will be based on a maximum of 4 people in attendance
Honorarium Funding can cover Speakers, Performances, Professional Services and Team building events student organization might want to host.
Honorarium funds can be used to pay for Venture Out and Craft Studio services. If requesting Honorarium funds for these services, organizations must provide:
- Name of Workshop they want to attend
- Names and PawPrints of students who will attend
- Explanation of why this activity will benefit the organization
- Events must reflect the organization’s purpose
- Events must be free to all attendees
- Events must be held on campus
- Student organizations have a maximum of $5000 per academic year, with a $2500 maximum per semester
- Student organizations may not sponsor other student organizations.
General Expenses Funding
General Expenses Funding covers operating costs to student organizations, this can include: copies, advertising, on-campus equipment rental and reusable supplies for the organization.
- Things not covered by General Expenses include: dues to national organizations, personalized items (name tags, business cards, apparel, ), food and anything that could be used in a fundraiser.
Fundraising is any income-producing activity, whether or not you make a profit. It can be a great option to provide funding for your student organization.
- Organizations must submit a Fundraising Request Form 2 weeks prior to the event. Failure to do so will result in cancellation of space reservation.
- Fundraisers must abide by all M-Book and Organization Resource Group Policies.