Every year, all student organizations hold elections to select the leadership. It is the duty of the outgoing leadership to ensure that the new officers are updated, informed, and prepared to lead the organization. There are several steps outgoing officer should take to help prepare their successors. Below you will find steps you can take to make the transition a smooth one.
Transitioning Organization Leadership
After finishing a term in a leadership position, it is important to update the organization’s Engage Portal to reflect the new officer information. This can be done by filling out a registration request on Engage. Completing the following steps on Engage will allow you to complete this request.
- Go to your organizations portal on Engage.
- Select the Wrench Icon with the word “Settings” next to it in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
- Select Organization Settings*
- Select Update and Renew Profile and follow the on screen instructions
- Allow time for your Advisor and the Organization Resource Group to approve the request.
*If you are missing this option, you may not be an administrator on Engage. Please contact the ORG Office, and we can assist you.
Be sure to tell the new leadership team that registration resets over the summer, therefore a new registration request will need to be submitted at the beginning of the new school year, even if nothing has changed.
Link with more detailed instructions here.
To add new officers as administrators on Engage:
- Go to the “Roster” tab of your organization portal.
- If the officer is not already a member of the group on Engage, invite them via the “Invite People” button.
- Once the officer accepts the invitation to the portal, they will appear in the organization’s roster.
- Click the pencil icon to the right of the member’s name
- Upon clicking the pencil icon to the right of the names on the roster, a menu should pop-up that allows you to assign a position to that member.
- Select a position. *NOTE: only the President, Vice President, and Treasurer have full administrative access to the organization’s portal.
- Click “SAVE”
Many organizations have group bank accounts that they use throughout the year. If this is true for your organization, it is important to ensure that the new officers know the location of all bank accounts, credit/debit cards, checks, billing/account statements, or other financial documents. There are several things you as an outgoing officer can do:
- Provide the EIN number to the Organization Resource Group to enter into your group’s Engage profile. (This is only visible to the ORG office and will not jeopardize your group’s privacy.)
- Add any new officer’s names to any bank accounts
- Inform your advisor of the location of any bank accounts
- Settle any debt you may have incurred.
- Ensure your successors are aware of ORG budget deadlines and any previously allocated funds that they have at their disposal.
- Remove your name from accounts after the new officers are successfully added.
As we mentioned before, once you completely transition the new officers into their positions, it is important that you manage your notification settings on Engage. This will ensure you no longer receive updates from the ORG Office. Failing to do this will result in you continuing to receive emails, so don’t forget this step. To edit your settings, click your name in the upper-right hand corner of Engage. A bar will open to the right of your screen, at the bottom of this bar there will be a “settings” button. The default tab is your notification settings. You have several options. You can:
- Disable Engage Messages from being sent to your email.
- Disable notification for certain organizations
- Delete your account permanently.
Choose carefully how you want your settings to change. The first two changes can be changed, however deleting your account should only be done if you truly want to have no further access to Engage, we can’t recover your account.