Welcome Week is a series of events for new MU students that occur each fall the week before school starts. Large signature events anchor a fun schedule for students spanning the better part of each day and long into the night. Each day has smaller events ranging from dodgeball tournaments in the Rec and ping pong in the Student Center to swing dancing classes and barbeques. While there are dozens of social events designed to help students meet others, there also are academic and informational programs that orientate students to campus. More than 80 student organizations, academic units, and various departments put on more than 200 programs every year so there is something for everyone during Welcome Week.
At the core of Welcome Week are the Welcome Groups. Each group consists of 15-20 new students and are led by a Welcome Leader. The groups are primarily based on where a student is living. Each group will preview the day’s schedule and select what events they would like to attend as a group vs individually. Groups will attend various events together, including Citizenship @Mizzou, however the Welcome Week schedule can be navigated individually if a student prefers that method.
We are planning a full and in-person Welcome Week experience for this upcoming fall.
Every student starts their MU career by walking through the columns, but that is not the only thing to do during Welcome Week. Below are a few examples of the events and programs students can expect during Welcome Week. A full list of Welcome Week events (and past events) is available on MU Engage.
- First Roar – A massive pep rally welcoming all new tigers to campus.
- Morning Runs/Biking – Are you a runner or biker? Join the running club and biking club for a short (or long) morning run. They’ll show you all the best routes.
- Tiger Walk – Before they walked through the columns our students came from many places, but after they are a Missouri Tiger.
- Citizenship@Mizzou – A requirement for all new students. Students living in the halls will complete their sessions during Welcome Week and everyone else will complete theirs once school starts.
- Glow Yoga – It’s yoga at twilight and when the sun sets the glow sticks shine.
- Paint the M – In 1927, Nebraska fans thought they were funny by making the rock M in the football stadium a rock N. Mizzou students quickly fixed it and touched it up but the tradition of painting the M before every academic year was born.
- Midnight BBQ – Live DJ, great food, and the biggest block party of the year. Need we say more?
- Campus Tour – Get a tour of campus so you know where you’re going on the first Monday of classes.
Smaller events will take place throughout the week.