Skip to Content Skip to Navigation

ORG Funding

Managing an active, successful student organization can be very expensive. Hosting events, taking trips, and keeping your organization running all cost money. ORG has compiled the following resources that may be able to help reduce this burden.

ORG Budget Requests

ORG provides a set amount of funding to Recognized Student Organizations. To apply for funding, student organizations must submit budget requests at various times throughout the year. While we are happy to provide this resource to our organizations, you should never consider ORG your primary funding source for your student organization. Our funding levels are always subject to change, and we’re limited by the large number of student organizations requesting assistance.

Student organizations that are eligible for funding can submit budget requests to ORG in one of these categories:

  • General Expense—for general resources, like copies, advertising, and miscellaneous reusable supplies
  • Travel—for a group trip to conferences, competitions, or events
  • Event Services…
    • for bringing guest speakers/artists/performers to campus;
    • services such as rentals, technology, interpreters, etc.; and
    • to request funds for experiential education opportunities like Venture Out!

You also need to plan ahead to receive ORG funding–we only accept budgets during specific periods throughout the academic year. See this year’s budget deadlines. Generally, our budget deadlines run a semester in advance; i.e. if you want funding for the spring semester, you must apply during the fall.


Recognized Student Organizations are eligible for ORG funding, with the following exceptions:

  • Social fraternities or sororities (Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association)
  • Single gender organizations (recognized by IRS section 501 (c) (7))
  • Club Sports recognized by the Mizzou Club Sports Federation
  • Organizations that already receive student activity fee funds

Organizations must also be in good standing to submit a budget request. This means that your President or Vice-President has attended Administrative Training, your Treasurer has attended Finance training, and your group’s information is up-to-date in OrgSync.

Request Process

All ORG funds must be applied for in advance–that is, you can’t spend money for your organization, and then apply for ORG funds to pay for it.

If your group is interested in receiving ORG funding, you’ll need to submit a budget request. The budget request submissions are located on each organization’s OrgSync page, under the “Treasury” tab, on the page labeled “Budgets.” Each type of request has a different form that will ask for specific information about the funds you are requesting and how they will benefit your group. You must also provide independent documentation for all expenses. If you have questions about how to fill out the budget request check out the Finance Training slides, or contact us.

Your completed budget request must be submitted during a specific budget deadline. All deadlines are on Fridays at 5 p.m., and late budgets are never accepted. All requests must be submitted through the OrgSync budget request portal; emailed budgets will not be accepted.  We begin accepting budgets on the Monday prior to the deadline. The ORG staff is happy to look over your budget if you stop by earlier during a budget week–this will give you time to make any necessary changes before the deadline. We also recommend that the Treasurer submit the budget themselves, so they can receive the submission confirmation email and ensure that the request is accurate.

Once you submit your budget by the appropriate deadline, it will go to the Student Organization Allocation Committee (SOAC).  SOAC will evaluate your budget and make funding decisions, which must be approved by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.  Your group will be notified of your allocation one week after the budget deadline, and you will have an opportunity to appeal if there were any issues.

2018-2019 Budget Deadlines

  • September 14
    • Travel beginning Oct. 6, 2018 – Dec. 31, 2018
    • Event Services for events between Oct. 20, 2018 – June 30, 2019
  • October 5
    • General Expense to be spent between Jan. 1, 2019 – June 30, 2019
    • Event Services for events between Nov. 10, 2018 – June 30 ,2019
  • November 2
    • Travel beginning Jan. 1, 2019– June 30, 2019
    • Event Services for events between Dec. 15, 2018 – June 30, 2019
  • February 8
    • Travel beginning between March 2, 2019 – June 30, 2019
    • Event Services for events between March 16, 2019 – June 30, 2019
    • General Expense to be spent March 2, 2019 – June 30, 2019
  • March 8
    • General Expense to be spent July 1, 2019 – Dec. 31, 2019
    • Event Services for events between April 20, 2019 – June 30, 2019
  • April 12
    • Travel beginning between July 1, 2019 – October 31, 2019
    • Event Services for events between July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020



In some instances, your budget request may be denied by SOAC. Your group may not be in good standing, the committee may have needed clarification on your request, or you might have been missing documentation. Any denials are explained on the allocation memo. If you would like to appeal your denial, you should submit the appeal form on OrgSync (which will be sent to you with your original budget notification), and attach any other documentation that was requested. ORG will form an appeal committee to consider these requests.

Secondary Appeals

If, after the regular appeal process, you are still unhappy with the outcome of your request, you may be able to submit a secondary appeal. These are reserved only for instances where you disagree with the committee’s view of your request; training/registration holds may not be secondarily appealed, and you will not be able to submit further documentation at this level.

Spending Allocated Funds

With the exception of travel, you should never spend money first and then come to ORG for reimbursement. See below for information on how to receive any funds you were allocated.

General Expense

Other Sources of Funding

With more than 600 recognized student organizations, it’s impossible for ORG funding to cover every expense.  Student organizations are expected to generate funding on their own through fundraising, collecting dues, or applying for other monies on campus.  Some organizations may be able to seek funding from the Student Fee Capital Improvement Committee (SFCIC), which funds large, one-time projects.  Others may be able to apply for a grant from the Diversity Fee, or even seek outside sponsorship.

Helpful Fiscal Information

Bank Accounts

Many student organizations want to open bank accounts to manage their club funds. To open an account, you’ll have to establish an Employer Identification Number (EIN) for your group. EINs are similar to social security numbers, but for groups instead of individuals. It establishes your group as a separate entity for the IRS. To apply for an EIN, visit the IRS website. If you apply for an EIN, please do not use the phrasing “University of Missouri ___________ (your group)” in your application. You may use MU or Mizzou, but if you use University of Missouri it may cause confusion for the IRS and the University. Please also follow this guideline for your bank accounts.

Once you receive an EIN, please enter it in the “Tax ID” field of your group’s OrgSync profile, so that future officers of your organization will know it.

We recommend that you list your adviser as one of the signatories on your bank account to ensure continuity and ease the transition between officers.

Tax Exemption

All Recognized Student Organizations are separate legal entities from the University of Missouri, and are therefore not eligible to claim the University’s tax exempt status. Your organization may apply for 501(c)3 tax exemption on your own. The Organization Resource Group strongly encourages student organizations wishing to file as a 501(c)3 to fully research the steps and requirements associated with process. As a reminder, the Office of Student Organizations and ORG cannot provide tax advice. If your organization wishes to seek status as a 501(c)3 organization we encourage you to discuss your organization’s tax situation with a tax adviser.